Monday, September 8, 2008

Again

I apologize again. However, there is something that I've managed to make even while I've been burdened by Work and Failure to Achieve. It's a quiz, 50 questions on excel, and it's sweet. I'll upload it when someone explains to me how to get it up correctly, because Google Docs only uploads half of all the formulas.

Anyways, I'm almost done watching Into the Wild. I hate to be an advocate of any R rated movie, and I apologize for suggesting that you watch perfect movies like Fight Club, Pan's Labyrinth, American History X, and Sunshine. Some of these movies are just existential enough to be watched for their inherit truth, although imperfect in presentation. When a movie, as Jeff Martinez has defined, can make you step back, view the world in a different light, and change the way you live then it is worth seeing. I completely agree. Into the Wild is one of those movies.

***disclaimer: Get the edited version if you find one.***

I feel selfish, materialistic, and burdened from self-imposed criteria and societal standards. I'm political enough to make an argument when an issue is brought up, and I completely agree with the need for an organization of society and participation in it, but sometimes a good excursion into nature and an appreciation for the natural beauty of the earth and God's creations can do wonders.

That's why I liked going out to North Carolina so much. Getting to walk around in the mountains was awesome. Anyways, life: appreciate it.

P.S. I was reading comments on the movie on IMDB and I can't help but think a few things.
1. People (at least vocal internet users) have developed a severe case of ADD.
2. Art, beauty, and self-adventure hold little interest to casual movie viewers.
3. People would much rather argue via name-calling and profanity than with logical points.

P.P.S. I can't tell if anyone reads this and cares, so leave a comment if you want any more posts.

3 comments:

Super B said...

Ok, here is a comment. I really like the way you think and how you express yourself. I do not however agree with your or Jeff Martinez. I mean, it is so cliche but it's like a little bit of poop in the brownies. I mean, if you can eat the brownies and not taste the poop that means they are alright, right? WRONG. But you know the poop thing is not a good analogy because in R rated movies and in a lot of pg-13 movies and in a ton of tv shows there is a lot more "poop" than brownies, but poop tastes bad...and we wouldn't want to eat them. but the trashy stuff in R rated movies and bad tv shows doesn't taste like poop to most of us. It tastes like something we like as natural men (and women) and therefore we have an appetite for it as we expose ourselves to it more and think or rationalize that it is okay. But, if we are truly wanting to change the way we live and how we see things, we would be best off to tune our hearts and minds to the frequency the Lord wants us on and see and taste the POOP for what it REALLY is.
There you have it. I don't know that I make complete sense to you or if you think I am so preachy or whatever, but it makes sense to me and frankly, it needs to be said.
I also hope you continue to post because you do have a keen mind and great way of expressing yourself.
and I am very interested to see the quiz you have come up with.
and reading over your post again, I disagree that any of the movies you referred to are PERFECT...I mean come on, PERFECT??? In what sense? and in what ways? Perfect in their existensialism? for their inherit truth? that sounds like an awful lot of rationalizing to me.

anyhow, I hope you are doing well. I also agree with your comment about the way people argue. It can be done in a civilized and respectable way.

take care.

Anonymous said...

Life never asked of you to describe it. These people that come out with these supposed ideas are always somehow thinking that they will always find the truth if they just voice it out (even if it means you're some illiterate who can't spell the word onomatopoeiea)Their comments more like opinions provide they were entitled to do it. Regardless the Internet is still an extension, a separate yet prolific (I don't want to be selfish or don't know the word for this but hey I'm only a comment. I am expressing my idea to you that the Internet is a separate yet a prolific extension.) one.

There's no such thing as the perfect movie. You know what's the best movie out there. It includes a person walking down the street taking a step at a time as he gets to the stop light as he walkes to his work for today. That's right, that movie is you! (Though not in this situational place or scenario.) You are the movie, there is no script. There was the beginning of the set and it was in the hospital where you were born. The ending has yet to be decided by the Director but I'm sure He will make sure you know what to say on those final moments before they say "Cut!"

What we see these days is the superficiality of life summed up in a celebrity (a speck in the big schemes if I could say) The soundtracks are what makes it there. There is no second chance only now. Dying is cold but it's true. That's the absolute truth. Death! There is no life in them. The one that gives them life is the person who breathes life to it. Sorry to be cruel, existentialism to these movies is what made play-wrights and some novelist think twice why they write it. (Sorry for that weird thought but I do hope you understand in time.) Godot never appeared ever! He just told us to wait but I think that's what He wants us to do. He wants us to wait also.

To end this conversation. I want you to know, that life does need to be appreciated. It must be. It's what hold people together.
Good luck and I do hope you have a good week sir.

Emily Gillrie said...

Those are the longest comments I have ever seen and Becca my roommate and I died laughing when we discovered your 5 paragraphs basically on poop. I love you, haha. By the way Kyle I will totally start reading your Blog (now that I know you have one) because I think were the only people under 20 that has one.